Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Che don't surf


Now, I know it's not much, but there are some waves out there on that photo. I took the shot on or second day in Cuba in Varadero. I was told that although Cuba isn't the best destination for waves, you could score some waves there when the conditions are right and I should go to Varadero cause that is the only place where you can rent a board.

Lucky us! We we happened to land in Cuba when tropical storm Tomas just crossed the island. I was thinking tropical storm, thats bound to move some water, not?!
Well it did move some water... However not that much was moving in the direction of Varadero. Kneehigh choppy waves wasn't exactly what I was expecting thinking about tropical storms, but nevertheless I was happy. I only had to find me a surfboard and I would be getting some surfing done in nice water temperatures sans all the rubber!

Then as I walked along the beach I began to wonder why all the beach-chairs where empty, and why there wasn't anybody in the water? Sure it was a somewhat cloudy day, but somebody would want to go for a swim anyway right?!

Turns out that it was prohibited to enter the water! There were waves and because of that there was some currents and that off-course is way too dangerous for people to go in the water!!! And renting any water sport equipment was out of the question for sure. Just look at the picture! We are talking about some kneehigh choppy waves here!. What a deception!

This just really left me wondering why the resorts in Varadero rent out surfboards at all. Considering the water is prohibited when there's swell. Is it for floating around sipping a Cuba Libre?

Lesson learned. Always bring your own board or just stick to cigars and rum when visiting Cuba.

No comments:

Post a Comment